Tuesday, November 2, 2010

White Plain T's and Delilah!

So I assume, everyone who loves this song wondered who is this girl Delilah?!
Here is the story behind the song!



USA Today has a new interview with Plain White T's front man Tom Higgenson. Tom explains the meaning behind the T's song "Hey There Delilah."

Not only is the song about a real girl, but it's about an Olympic hopeful. Higgenson met steeplechase runner Delilah DiCrescenzo in New York City five years ago, when Delilah was attending Columbia University.

"I thought she was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen," said Higgenson. "I told her, 'I have a song about you already.' Obviously, there was no song. But I thought it was smooth."

"I wasn't interested," says DiCrescenzo. "I was dating somebody."

Higgenson kept in touch with DiCrescenzo over email, and in 2004 he finally wrote the song "Hey There Delilah." He sent a CD to DiCrescenzo, who was impressed... but not that impressed.

"It was so beautifully written," she said. "There was pressure to live up to this ideal. I didn't know how to be polite but, you know, ditch him."

DiCrescenzo also says of the song, "When I'm at the gym, it's playing; when I'm at the pool, it's playing. Part of me wants to scream at the top of my lungs that it's about me. Another part of me wants to cower and say it's not."

Nowadays, Higgenson has gotten over his crush.

He says, "If we had lived happily ever after, then what would my next song be about?"

Hmm, maybe something that doesn't make you sound like a stalker? Here are a few thoughts about this story...

-Would this song have been as popular if the girl was named Sarah?

-Delilah DiCrescenzo sounds like she should be some Eastern Romanian gymnast, not a steeplechase runner.

-"I thought it was smooth." You thought wrong. Sorry champ.

-If you're a girl named Delilah, you've gotta be pretty psyched that this song exists. It's been too long since a song about a "Delilah" was popular.

-Are there any girls' names that don't have a song?

-Finding out this song is about a stalker-esque crush probably just ruined it for a bunch of people.

-Tom Higgenson is making a strong push for the title of "Least Rock N' Roll Name In Music." Watch your back, Chester Bennington!

Here is the Plain White T's video for "Hey There Delilah." If you have a "Closing Time" flashback when you watch this, you're not alone.


Original source of story is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment